18 November 2008
Child drug overdoses: Shock figures
Figures released by the hospital show that 125 children have been admitted after taking an overdose since January – and only 126 were seen in the whole of 2007.
Two years ago, just 104 children were admitted with an overdose.
Children have been treated after taking overdoses of everything from Calpol to hard drugs.
Scunthorpe Accident and Emergency consultant Ajay Chawla said: "We do see a number of young people come through Accident and Emergency who we treat for drug overdoses.
"The best case scenario is when a child comes in having accidentally drunk some Calpol.
"We assess them and send them home with advice and guidance.
"The worst case scenario is where a child is ill and requires admission to intensive care, or even worse dies."
For the full story, buy today's Scunthorpe Telegraph.
Calpol Night & Diphenhydramine: Doubts & Information
Also for the record, according the data sheet in the electronic Medicines Compendium (eMC) - Date of Authorisation/Renewal of Authorisation for Calpol Night was 12th January 2007. (Download PDF here)
Baby died day after medical check
Aleesha Evans's parents were told by staff at the Royal Gwent Hospital in Newport that she had a viral infection and needed only Calpol and Nurofen.
Toddler dies of meningitis after GP tells mum to give him Calpol
A toddler died of meningitis hours after an on-call GP told his mother on the phone she should give him Calpol and put him to bed.
Parents of meningitis toddler told to give her Calpol
A nine-month old girl died of meningitis after hospital doctors told her parents to take her home and give her Calpol.
Don’t panic message over children’s cough mixture
Parents were told yesterday not to be alarmed by the decision to remove six cough and cold remedies for young children from chemists’ shelves.
Calpol generation may be vulnerable to asthma and hay fever, study says
Giving paracetamol-based medicines such as Calpol to babies can increase their chances of developing asthma in later life, a large international study suggests.
Are we using too much Calpol?
Twelve million bottles and packets of Calpol, the infant form of paracetamol, are sold every year, indicating that British children are now the Calpol generation