27 April 2009

On the phone

(..)”Gerry, he was on the phone to, erm, a member of his family, erm, curled up really on the floor just outside the sliding patio door just sobbing uncontrollably and in between sobs just saying ‘They’ve’, you know, ‘Someone’s taken her’ or ‘Somebody’s blo*dy got her’, you know, ‘She’s gone’ and absolutely erm, you know, you know, for such a strong man to see him on the floor broken he was, he was incapable of even standing up, he was just lying on the floor and just repeating himself, there was so little he could, you know, there was just nothing else in there.”
Russell O’Brien, in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

“And Kate’s ringing, Gerry’s ringing anybody under the sun, family, they just don’t, they honestly just didn’t know what to do. So there was a lot of, Gerry’s in and out, I mean, they were just sobbing, going between sobbing and then feeling helpless and then ringing people and this frantic activity.”
(..)”Gerry kicked in to his sort of you know, action mode, which er he was ringing people, who do we need to ring, the British Embassy, I think he was trying to get hold of the British Embassy and just get somebody erm who was English speaking, who might be able to help, erm say early, I know he phoned his sister, he was phoning relatives, just telling anybody you know, you’ve got to help us, what can you do, can you think of anything”.
(..)“There were lots of, lots of phone calls going on with Kate and Gerry, erm, of which, yeah, I, I heard snippets and bits, they phoned the family, I know Gerry phoned his sister, Trish, and he was just sobbing and hysterical on the phone”.
Fiona Payne, in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

“I was woken by the phone ringing at about 23.30. It was Gerry telling me that Madeleine had been taken. He was very upset on the phone, it was the worst phone call I have had in my life. remember asking him for contacts of people in Portugal so that we could call them. Gerry was in no state to say much. I tried to remain calm for him, I suggested that he contact the British Embassy and I remember him telling me that he had spoken to the local police but they were not taking the situation seriously. I remember Gerry saying that they did not treat the matter with urgency and only stated that Madeleine must have left on her own and that she would be back later. It was so frustrating, Madeleine did not do things like that, she was not that kind of girl.
Gerry is normally very calm and serene, he has a logical perception of things, but he was hysterical – he was shouting. He mentioned the possibility that that she could have been taken by a paedophile, I tried to calm him but there was nothing I could say to help him. I had never seen him so out of control. The pain and the anguish – it was the worst scenario imaginable, the waiting was unbearable.”
Trish Cameron in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

"He was distraught, breaking his heart," Mrs Cameron said. "He said: 'Madeleine's been abducted, she's been abducted.'" (...)
"Nothing had been touched in the apartment, no valuables taken, no passports. They think someone must have come in the window and gone out the door with her."
Trish Cameron, Guardian 5/5/07

Mr McCann told the girl's aunt, Trish Cameron, from Dumbarton near Glasgow, that at about 2200 that night they had found the door open, with the bedroom window and shutters jemmied open.
BBC News 5/5/07

“The phone went last night and it was my brother Gerry, distraught on the phone, breaking his heart. “He said, ‘Madeleine’s been abducted, she’s been abducted’. They kept going back to check the kids every half-hour.”
On the last visit, at 10 pm, Mrs McCann went into the apartment, then ran out, screaming. Mrs Cameron said: “The door was lying open, the window in the bedroom and the shutters had been jemmied open. Nothing had been touched in the apartment, no valuables taken, no passports. They think someone must have come in the window and gone out the door with her. It looks as if somebody has either been watching, or they’ve targeted her.”
Trish Cameron, Daily Express, 5/5/07

"They weren't out for long, and they could see the apartment from the restaurant"
Brian Healy, Guardian 5/5/07

“Kate came screaming back to the group crying, ‘They’ve taken her, they’ve taken her’. Gerry was crying and roaring like a bull.” "They were all sound asleep, windows shut, shutters shut," said Trish Cameron, Madeleine's aunt. "Kate went back at 10pm to check, the front door was lying open, the window had been tampered with, the shutters had been jammied open, and Madeleine was missing."
Trish Cameron, Timesonline 6/5/07

Madeleine's aunt Trish Cameron recalled that she received a call later that night from her younger brother, Mr McCann, who told her: "I went back to check the children at nine o'clock. They were all sound asleep, windows shut, shutters shut." Mrs Cameron related that when Mrs McCann went to the two apartment a little under an hour later: "The shutters had been jemmied open. They think someone must have come in the window and gone out of the front door with Madeleine."
Trish Cameron, Mail on Sunday 6/5/07

Trish Cameron, Mr McCann’s sister, said she received a telephone call from her 39-year-old brother, a consultant cardiologist, who was "hysterical and crying his eyes out". She said: "They had put the kids to bed at 7pm and checked on them every half an hour as they had dinner nearby with the rest of the party. Gerry said the window was open, the shutters broken and the door, which had been locked, hanging open."Kate came screaming back to the group crying, 'They've taken her, they've taken her'. Gerry was crying and roaring like a bull."Obviously someone has been watching them, watching the children, seeing where they stayed and seeing they were left alone. It just doesn't bear thinking about.
Trish Cameron, Telegraph 7/5/07

"On the night of Thursday, May 3, 2007, Patricia received a telephone call from Gerry informing us of the disappearance of Madeleine. Gerry manifested all those emotions one expects from a father who has lost a child in the circumstances. He was distraught and spoke at the same time he cried. He seemed frustrated with the slowness of the searches in Portugal, with the fact that the borders had not been closed, and with the fact that sniffer dogs were not being used. Patricia and I contacted the British Embassy to try and help in this regard."
Sandy Cameron in a statement to the Leicestershir Police, april 2008

“The-- the whole-- the whole night was hellish. You know? I've got crying for help from my brother and I’m stuck couple of thousand miles away from him. I can't do anything concrete. And then eventually he just said, "I don't know what to think. I think some pedophile or some other swine has taken Madeleine."
John McCann, MSNBC 2/3/08

“Gerry rang me and said how desperate the situation was. He said it was a disaster. And at first I thought there had been a car accident. And then he said no, and when he told me that Madeleine had been abducted from her bed in the hotel, I just said ‘No’. He said ‘I’m serious, Sue’. He said everyone in the complex was searching for Madeleine. He was really, really upset.
“And shortly after that, I had a phone call from Kate asking me to contact Fr Paul Seddon. He’s a friend of Kate and Gerry’s. Paul married Kate and Gerry and baptised Madeleine and she needed to speak to him.
Sue Healy, The Mayo News 3/7/07

'Gerry called me. He said, errm… "There's been a disaster, it's a disaster" and I thought there'd been a car accident. And it took me a while 'cause he was hysterical, errm… it took me a while to realise. He… he just said "Madeleine's been abducted from her bed". Errm… And, I sort of said "No, Gerry", you know, and he… he was, sort of, at pains to emphasise how important it was because, at this time, I think they'd been looking for some time and they hadn't told us right away. They'd looked for an hour or so. She said: "She's gone, mum, she's gone, mum", and… and I said "We'll get her back". And I was able to say this to Kate for quite a few months, "We'll get her back, we'll get her back". And now I find it is getting harder to say that to her. Errm… I… I believe it. We want her back, we're not going to accept that Maddie's gone from our life altogether. She's far too important for that.'
Sue Healy, Interview with Jordi González on the Antena 3 channel on Monday, October 22nd.

Susan Healy: 'Kate phoned me, errm… about an hour after Gerry and asked me to get in touch with, errm… Paul Seddon, who is the priest, Father Seddon, who married her, who baptised Madeleine, errm… and I didn't have his mobile phone so I rang a friend of Kate's and got… got him and he rang Kate right away and I think as soon as this happened, as soon as Kate realised what had happened, it was as if, errm.. she started to ask God right away to give her Madeleine. Errm… because Kate and Gerry were not the most devout family. We do have Catholic faith, errm… it's… it's the religion that we were brought up in, but I would never describe myself as a devout person. We're just ordinary people, errm… but Kate certainly has… has clung to her religion, errm.. since this happened. Possibly she feels that, you know, it has to be a greater thing that helps us to get Madeleine back. Errm… something with more power than… than we have.'
Sue Healy, Interview with Jordi González on the Antena 3 channel on Monday, October 22nd.

Their voices were out of control and I think it was just blind panic and fear that they couldn't get through to the police or to anybody, errm... to make it clear that they felt Madeleine had been abducted and they were afraid that every minute that was lost was crucial to getting Madeleine back. Errm… my daughter is very, very placid, very even tempered, and I saw her scream that night at the Consul. Screaming for help, for somebody to do something to... to help them to get Madeleine back. But I… I've never heard Kate raise her voice, she doesn't raise her voice, and she was shouting down the phone, I think, to emphasise how important it was, errm... to the British Consul. "I want somebody here now," errm… is what she was saying. But, yes, emotionally she was very up and down, errm… and that isn't, as I say, she's a very placid…
Sue Healy, Interview with Jordi González on the Antena 3 channel on Monday, October 22nd.

“Err you know I made err a phone call at some stage in the evening to err Fiona’s dad back in the UK who I’ve got a lot of respect for and has given me very, a lot of very good advice because you know you certainly would never have believe that you will find yourself in a situation err like this and you know there was very able people who were there, you know. Everybody who was out there you know was very responsible and people that I would turn to but under the circumstances I don’t think anyone functions err particularly anywhere near a hundred percent and you know just looking to try and get some advice from someone outside the situation because you know we just didn’t feel that we could get this message across to err to anybody that she had been abducted.”
David Payne in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

"Yeah, I mean Kate, you know Kate generally, you know more emotional than err Gerry was and then all of a sudden Gerry would breakdown and you know just, you know saying she’s gone, you know she’s gone, err Kate was more like that on a continual basis throughout the evening. Err Gerry would still try and function in between the moments of you know breaking down and err you know and try to, you know, I had the discussion on with phone and you know what, what we gonna do and err and then, you know, they’d breakdown again, so there was…”
David Payne in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

“I’m not sure who informed err Sky News of the event, you know a lot of that err I know Kate and Gerry spent a lot of time on the phone ringing people, they were just so, so beside themselves really.”
Diane Webster in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

“On the morning of 4 May 2007 the mother of Kate telephoned my mother who, in turn, telephoned me. My mother told me that something terrible had happened, that somebody had taken Madeleine. I later sent a text message to Kate that same night and
I spoke with her on the telephone. She was hysterical, saying only that she wanted to be able to hug Madeleine. She was worried by the fact that there were only two police officers in the place and thought that the police were not helping her with anything. She continued to speak about Madeleine, of the cold that she could feel since she was dressed only in pyjamas and continued to look at the situation from the perspective of Madeleine. She told me that Gerry was outside to find the girl and during the following day we spoke on the telephone and we frequently sent messages [to each other].”
Linda McQueen in a statement to the Leicestershir Police, may 2008

“On the morning of the 4th of May, 2007, Kate called our land line but we did not hear it as we were asleep and did not put the phone on the bed. She left a message and asked us to call her once we heard the message. Kate must have tried Jon’s mobile once as we stirred when it rang at about 03h20. Jon spoke briefly with Kate and then called her around 03h30. I knew that Kate and Gerry were on holidays in Portugal. Kate was very anguished and on the telephone and told me that she had checked on the children every half-hour. It was around 22h00, and when she went to check on the children she found that someone had entered the apartment and taken Madeleine from where she slept; that Madeleine had been abducted. The person must have entered, passed by the twins and taken her.
Kate continued that when she entered the apartment via the patio doors, a breeze hit her in the face as if a door or window was open. When she entered the children’s room, the window was open, the blind had been forced and Madeleine had disappeared. Kate urged me to call all the close family and to ask them to pray for Madeleine.”
Michelle Thompon in a statement to the Leicestershir Police, may 2008

"She was in an absolutely hysterical state - very, very distressed. She blurted out Madeleine had been abducted."Kate said the shutters of the room were smashed. Madeleine was missing It looks as though someone had gone straight past the twins to get to her. Kate was incredibly upset. I've spoken to her since, and she's still completely devastated.”
Jon Corner, the Mirror, 5/5/07

Jon, whose wife grew up with GP Kate in their home city of Liverpool, said: “She phoned at about 3am. She just blurted out that Maddie had been abducted.
“She said, ‘They’ve broken the shutter on the window and taken my little girl’. She’s still devastated. She’s very upset that the police don’t seem to be doing anything.”
Jon Corner, The Sun 6/5/07

He said: "She just blurted out that Madeleine had been abducted. She told me, 'They have broken the shutter on the window and taken my little girl.'
"They had left the apartment locked while they were having their meal, but when they went back the last time they saw the damage.
"First they saw one of the window shutters had been forced, and then they saw the door was open and the bed was empty - and Madeleine was gone."
Jon Corner, Telegraph 7/5/07

“..on the night that Madeleine disappeared, on the Thursday, a friend of mine, or friends of Matt’s and mine, Kath and James LANDALE and James LANDALE’s a BBC News erm and at the time he was like Political Correspondent, erm I saw him the other night actually reading the news on BBC News 24 but I rang him, or I rang his wife Kath cos I had her mobile number, erm basically to say you know that Madeleine had gone missing, was there any way that we could get it on the news and that was, that was on the Thursday night”.
Rachael Mampilly in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

And you mentioned another guy, John CORNER”?
Reply “Yes, he’s a friend of Gerry and Kate’s who was in England, I spoke to him on the phone, on Kate’s phone actually”.
1578 “Okay”.
Reply “That was the next morning, sort of you know, eight o’clock in the morning, that sort of time”.
Rachael Mampilly in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, april 2008

Close family friend Gill Renwick, of Liverpool, who also spoke to GP Kate yesterday, said: "Poor Kate and Gerry don't know where to turn."Madeleine has obviously been taken. She couldn't have gone out on her own and the shutters were forced."
Jill Renwick, the Mirror, 5/5/07

Back home in Dumbarton, Mrs Cameron spoke to her brother again at 10am yesterday. "It was frustrating for him then because between 5am and 7am the police seemed to do nothing, they were standing about," she said.
Trish Cameron, Guardian 5/5/07

“I spoke to Kate by phone between 10:00 and 11:00am that morning and she confirmed that she wanted her mother, her father and Nora with her. The family liaison [officer?] arranged the journey of the mother, father and Nora to Portugal that same afternoon.”
Michael Wright in a statement to the Leicestershire police, april 2008

“During the next 24 hours, we maintained contact through text messages but I spoke to her around 04H30 on the next day, Saturday, the 5th of May of 2007. Kate was still frustrated and anguished and felt that nobody was doing anything to help find Madeleine. She told me that the police had left in the morning and returned around 09H30 and that now only a few agents with sniffer dogs were in the locale.”
Michelle Thompon in a statement to the Leicestershir Police, may 2008

“Early on the morning of Friday, 4th May 2007 Kate’s mother phoned my mother who, in turn, phoned me. My mother told me that Madeleine had disappeared and that she had been abducted. Nobody knew the full facts. I immediately sent a text message to Kate, without really knowing what to say. Kate asked me to pray.
On the following night at about midnight, Kate contacted me by phone, she was devastated and appeared lost. She said that judging from the action of the local police, one would think that she “had lost a dog”.
Nicky Gill in a statement to the Leicestershire Police, may 2008

Friends and relatives of the McCanns alleged yesterday that the search was only upgraded to a major investigation after the intervention of John Buck, Britain’s ambassador in Portugal. (…) Meanwhile, Gerry’s sister Philomena slammed Portuguese police for not doing enough to find Madeleine’s faster.
Speaking from her home in Glasgow she said Gerry was furious with the way the inquiry was being handled. “My brother is at his wits’ end. They’ve just played it down from the minute he first approached them.
“I mean, you can hear his voice breaking. His wife, she can barely stand up. She can’t sleep, she can’t eat.
“They spent seven hours in the police station yesterday. What for? It took three hours just to get a statement from Kate, and Kate is an extremely articulate young woman. What’s going on?”
Philomena McCann, Daily Express 6/5/07

He does remember however, that on a day he cannot recall, an individual who identified himself as Robert, saying that he was in P da L as a translator helping the PJ, phoned the Lagos post saying:
That some foreign women, who had already been interviewed by the police, had phoned him, telling him that there was a child crying in an apartment near to them.
GNR Officer P.J.C.d.C., in a statement 16/5/07

17 comments:

  1. Carissima Joana,

    Meu comentário é para voce e Astro e me refiro a voce, principalmente e ao mesmo tempo te agradecendo por todo este seu esforço a favor da Justiça e em especial por Madeleine.
    Voce é, como dizemos aqui no Brasil a PORTA BANDEIRA desta fonte de informaçoes tao importantes para todos nós que acompanha o caso com afinco.
    Muito obrigada e de todos os blog que tenho visitado o seu é o mais claro e o mais completo.
    Tenho muito respeito e admiraçao por sua pessoa e diretamente ligada a esta página dia e noite.

    Abraços,
    Maria- Rio de Janeiro/ Leblon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again, you find your child missing from bed, what do you do?! Instead of looking for her, everywhere, because the most likely possibility is that she just walked out of the apartment - NO, these people get on the phone, they call everyone they know, spreading the abduction theory, including open window & jemmied shutters - they summon their family, as if absolutely certain that their daughter will not (cannot?) be found in the very next hour.
    Makes no sense? Of course not.
    Thank you once again for another most extraordinary compilation, Kazlux. It clearly shows that there was a plan, and they stuck to it, almost... efficiently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Gerry said the window was open, the shutters broken and the door, which had been locked, hanging open."
    Such drama... It would be laughable, if it wasn't so awfully serious.
    A child was dead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cara Maria,

    Agradeço-lhe as suas palavras de apreço; e compartilho-as com a Astro e com a Kazlux porque este é um trabalho que de todas nós exige esforço e dedicação.

    Quem sabe um dia, com as nossas amigas e amigos leitores, juntos também partilharemos o sabor da Justiça que é negado a uma criança.

    um abraço desde Lisboa

    Joana

    ReplyDelete
  5. No valuables were taken.

    Wallet. Passports all intact.

    The most valuable possession being Maddie but, oh no, their list of valuables are wallets and passports.

    But hey, some dirty animal did manage to pinch the damn wallet eventually.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Prezada Joana,

    Mais cedo ou mais tarde a Justiça cairá com sua força plena sobre os culpados.A própria Natureza nao deixa que os crimes se dissolvam na noite dos tempos sem que conheçamos os criminosos.
    Quem viver, verá.
    Joana, eu na minha idade e com a experiencia que tenho na promotoria pública há quase 30 anos pensava que tinha visto tudo, que conhecia mais ou menos os engodos e facetas da humanidade mas nao, os Mccanns e seus amigos superaram todas as minhas expectativas e conseguiram inserir a mentira no processo de globalizacäo.
    Uma mentira que vai de norte a sul do planeta e ninguem consegue conte-los.Isto é único!

    Até breve,

    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  7. David Payne: - "Err you know I made err a phone call at some stage in the evening to err Fiona’s dad back in the UK who I’ve got a lot of respect for and has given me very, a lot of very good advice because you know you certainly would never have believe that you will find yourself in a situation err like this and you know there was very able people who were there, you know"...

    Who is Fiona Payne's father? Why was he contacted? Why was he in a position to offer valuable advice in a case of a missing, supposedly abducted girl? Has he had any professional experience at such cases, is he a retired police officer or social worker? Very mysterious...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Let us suppose,D.Payne has really a pedophile tendency but could be that he was not guilty of this crime and just was in the wrong place with the wrong friends?
    I see he talks very strange about Madeleine as a "pretty doll" but is he the author or co-author of this terrible crime?
    I wish the police asks him...one day.
    If he moved to another adress in London is he afraid?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Interesting, Payne calling his father in law who gave him advices.

    Aren't the Paynes the ones who got married somewhere in Italy?

    Jezus, it starts to make sense.Does David's or Fiona's family come from there?
    Do they have good connections in Italy?

    Not only with the Vatican?

    Ave Maria, bless us all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Maria from Brazil, I think if Payne moved out of his house, he must not be afraid of something but he must be feeling uncomfortable after the PJ's publications.
    People in the neighbourhood recognize him and they probably watch out when he walks near their children.
    He must be loosing friends too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Only thing we know for sure is: there was no break in. No broken shutters and window opened from inside and only kate mccanns finger-prints on it.
    "Jemmied" shutters is the mystery of the centyry. I would like to hear kate&gerry to explain that.

    And, they sure were busy to get that idea around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WHY OH WHY can't we read this kind of analysis in the British press? They are one of the major sources for the McBabble - SURELY they must be aware of the amount of BOLLOCKS that they spread under McOrders?!
    Thank you, Kazlux, that makes it painfully clear that the night of the third of May 2007 was anything but a 'normal' situation. How anyone can still believe in, and protect this couple, is beyond me.
    It can only be explained by something rather sinister. Doesn't make sense in any other way.
    Justice for Maddie, NOW!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. They acted as if it was an accomplished fact that their daughter would never return.

    ReplyDelete
  14. They spent seven hours in the police station yesterday. What for? It took three hours just to get a statement from Kate, and Kate is an extremely articulate young woman. What’s going on?”
    Philomena McCann, Daily Express 6/5/07

    Well considering it, the "articulate one" sat their for 7hrs like a demented scared mute is it no wonder it took 3hrs for a statement, maybe the "Articulate one" should have spoken and told the truth.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Youre sooooooooooooo stupid, going on and on and on with this pretense analysis of the files, when all that the files show is the obvious: that Madeleine was abducted, and that her parents have nothing to do with that. Stop playing internet detectives, stop harassing the McCann's, start reporting on what really matters. Or better still, stop reporting and just go away!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anon 12.19 said:"...stop reporting and just go away!!!"
    Why do you say that?If what people say against your friends is just lies and speculation then why do you bother to read it, why don't they sue?I'm sure that if it is not true then Mccanns would surely win.So, what are they waiting for?Oh, I forgot.They don't like courtrooms.
    Everyone who reads carefully the files will come to the conclusion that there's no evidence whatsoever that Madeleine was abducted.It is also very clear that Kate, Gerry and their friends behaved very suspiciously from the start and that they never cooperated with the police .The interference from the english government is obvious.
    You're desperate.You know you can't stop the truth.If you think people will forget this story just because you say so you are ridiculous.And you are wasting your time.

    ReplyDelete