Maddie's Case: False abduction reported in the British Press
The 9-year-old girl from Vila Nova de Poiares who reported an attempted abduction, made the story up, the Judiciaria in Coimbra has been able to establish.
The young girl invented the abduction attempt, based on another situation that happened with a girl who lives in the same village: That other girl, upon leaving the bus that brought her home from school, saw a car stop near to her, but nobody came out of the car. The girl's mother, who was home at the window, panicked and started yelling, as she was afraid that her daughter might be taken.
The GNR intervened, but found no motives to request the intervention of the PJ. In the second 'case', the PJ was called but concluded that the story had been made up.
Yesterday, the Child Protection Commission of Vila Nova de Poiares released a statement, saying that the cases of alleged abduction attempts in the area "have no plausible basis" and that this has been clearly proved beyond any doubt.
The Uninformed and Biased British Press
Sun: Police fear over 'Maddie' gang
COPS fear a kidnap gang has made THREE new bids to snatch kids in Portugal, where Madeleine McCann vanished.
On Thursday, Clarisse Neto, nine, fled as two men tried to lure her into a car near Coimbra.
A child escaped in a similar incident in Vale do Tronco on Saturday.
And three weeks ago two men tried to grab a girl of 13 at a bus stop.
Maddie, four, went missing last May while on hols from Rothley, Leics.
This is London: Madeleine McCann's disappearance is 'linked to a string of child abductions'
Police investigating Madeleine McCann's disappearance have been alerted over a spate of attempted child abductions in northern Portugal, it has been revealed.
At least four children have been targeted in the last month in the region of Coimbra, where a nine-year-old girl escaped from an abductor in December.
Police are investigating if the cases are connected, and if they could be related to Madeleine's disappearance from Praia da Luz, some 300 miles away in the Algarve, last May. (bla, bla, bla...)
McCann spokesman Clarence Mitchell said: "There is no suggestion of a direct connection but it shows that this sort of thing can occur in Portugal.
"We would hope the Portuguese police are investigating this as thoroughly as we hope they still are in the search for Madeleine."
But he refused to comment about claims that Kate McCann had decided to quit her work as a locum GP permanently, in order to work for children's charities.
He said: "Kate and Gerry are talking to non-government organisations and child welfare groups, but her priority is the search for Madeleine and looking after the twins."
The couple want to campaign for a Europe-wide alert system for missing children, like the amber alert system in place in the U.S.
Mrs McCann, 39, has not returned to work since Madeleine's disappearance in May and has told friends she would like to work for children's charities.
Her cardiology consultant husband Gerry, also 39, has already returned to his £75,000-a-year post at Leicester's Glenfields Hospital.
A source close to the couple told the People newspaper: "Kate feels after all she's been through she has lots to offer child organisations.
"She wants to help others who are going through what she has been through. Many people have come forward in support of her and Gerry and she will never forget that."
The McCanns attended a lunch for Missing Children Europe last week and they have both met with officials from the International Centre for Missing and Exploited Children and the Centre for Child Exploitation and Online Protection.
Mrs McCann's mother Susan Healy, 61, told the People: "It is definite now. One of her main goals in life is to work with children and assist with child safety."